Sunday, February 13, 2011

On Valentine's Day


I've always liked Valentine's Day. I don't freak out over it; I don't demand or expect elaborate gifts, and I don't give it a ton of importance. If I'm on my own, or away from my love on the day, no big deal.
But I do like it, and I think it's because I still think of it in terms of my 7 year old self.
My first experiences with Valentine's Day would have been some chocolate from my parents, and then in elementary school.
You make a heart shaped envelope, give out valentines to everyone in your class (even if you don't like them!) and then gorge on cupcakes, jellybeans and chips.
Last year I stocked up on heart-shaped doilies, glittery heart stickers and magazines and went to work on some valentines for my friends. It was tons of fun, and they loved them! Today I think I'll do it again.

But before that, I wanted to share some photos. I found these in the amazing Life archive.

"First & Second graders at Washington Grade School help teachers celebrate a party for teacher Kathryn Valentine, who is celebrating her 50 years of teaching on Valentine's Day."

I just thought these capture the feeling of an elementary school Valentine's Day (and, as an elementary teacher, they just make me smile).

2c5b3c3bf46b49cd_landing

eec2933600dd39bf_landing

fdb83351099aef42_landing

e8bcab2e3bb3cf1e_landing

554aadcb26726743_landing

50657a7275f1fb97_landing

9c8e30dc8d97d712_landing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers