Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sometimes you gotta feed your soul.

Fryday
Photo by Adam - he's a big Devo fan ;)

Yesterday was my first foray into the world of fried chicken, and boy oh boy was it deliciously successful.
The store I used to work at had loads of cookbooks I would constantly leaf through, and one of my favourites was The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook (even if they do look like they barely eat any of their food). They have two recipes for chicken: Tuesday and Sunday, with the Sunday being a little more complicated. I found a recipe online for their Tuesday Fried Chicken which I used as a guide. I couldn't find the other one, but knew that the main difference was that you brined the chicken, and so I began.

Seriously - best chicken EVER. I brined it overnight in a pretty basic brine of salt, sugar, peppercorns, and I added a bay leaf and some fresh thyme. Then I dredged the chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks) in flour with a little salt and pepper added, dipped it in buttermilk, and dredged it again in a flour,cornmeal, salt and pepper mix.

I let the chicken come to room temperature before I started and then after all the pieces had been dipped I let them sit on a rack for about 30 minutes as well - I can't remember where, but I read about this step somewhere.

Then, I fried it all up in lard. I'm not going to make this everyday, so why not eh? ;)

It is the juiciest, crispiest, TASTIEST chicken I've ever had - there are some happy tummies around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers