Monday, February 7, 2011

Hair, pt 1

I apologize for my absence. As I mentioned briefly on Friday, I was working a lot last week. Every day of the week actually, which is the first time that's happened since I became a TOC, so hooray! But, that combined with puppy duty left me with little energy. I actually wasn't even on the computer that much, which was good actually. I read more.

This past spring/summer there was an exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery, "The Modern Woman: Drawings by Degas, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec and Other Masterpieces from the Musee d'Orsay, Paris". I'm most familiar with Degas, and it was really interesting to see his drawings; just the very beginnings of all those famous paintings, and how they changed from those early sketches to the finished piece.

Growing up my parents had a Degas print in their bedroom:
Edgar-Degas-After-the-Bath--Woman-Drying-Herself-5792
After the Bath

My mum had a nightly ritual of a bubble bath before bed. My bedroom was right next to the bathroom, so the sound of the running water became a sort of lullaby for me, and I'd eventually have trouble falling asleep without hearing it. When I was younger I had very long hair, which knotted terribly. It was a common ritual also, for me to be sitting in front of my mum while she worked out all the mats.
The familiarity of that one Degas print, along with his common themes of bathing and hair combing have led me to love those paintings of his.

hair_combed

DegasBath

degas33

55

degas.combing-hair

degas_combing_hair1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers