Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hey Sweden!

Last night I finally got around to watching John Carpenter's The Thing. I say finally, because about 9-10 years ago I got into horror movies pretty big (thanks, Adam!) and you'd think I'd have seen this one by now.
I can't remember what exactly brought this one to mind, but something did, I checked netflix and away we went.

What a movie! There's something about horror/scary movies that came out in the late 70s/early 80s. The style, the colours, the neon red blood - it all makes for a pretty wonderful experience.
The Thing is definitely now one of my favourites from this time, maybe even number one (though Dawn of the Dead is still up there).

The story is simple: isolation, monster, and paranoia. I loved that the bulk of the creepiness came from the setting and psychological terror, rather than just a big scary creature (but don't get me wrong - the creature is awesome).
A lot of scenes had only flares for light which added to those lurid, vibrant colours of the time and Kurt Russel was awesome and pretty babely.
All in all, highly recommended! ;)

thing9

thing8

thing7

thing5

thing6

thing3

thing2


thing10

thing11

thing4
So intense!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers